Friday, September 30, 2011

DIY: Paint Stick Sunburst Mirror

Over the last year, sunburst mirrors have become a hot topic on the DIY - design blogs. I have seen so many unique variations to this mirror. One of my favorite blogs, 'Centsational Girl', featured her own paint stick sunburst mirror. After seeing so many, this one really caught my eye. I thought it was such a "crafty" idea, so I decided I would give it a shot. I know I should have came up with my own "innovative" design, but the creative juices weren't flowing that day and I just loved this idea too much!


Materials:
7" Round Mirror
7" Wooden Crochet Circle
55 Paint Stir Sticks.
Wooden Base - I used a wooden square frame that was on sale at Michael's.... for $1 :)
Craft Paint
Small Paint Brush
Metal Picture Hook
Hot Glue Gun
Glue
Xacto Knife


Directions:
1. Attach the picture hook to the back of your wooden base.
2. Paint the wooden circle and all the paint sticks. I recommend painting the sticks two different colors, this will give some variation and depth to your frame.... I learned this after I painted mine with only one color.... :(
3. Paint two coats and let dry overnight.
4. Glue mirror to wooden base.
5. Once dry, glue wooden circle to mirror.
6. Glue paint sticks to mirror as shown. If your doing two different colors / tones, make sure to do one color as your first layer and the other color as your second layer. This way the colors will alternate.


7. Once completed, remove excess glue with Xacto knife and make any necessary touch ups.


As you can see I had a few paint touch ups to do....

My recommendations would be to paint the sticks two different colors. Even if they are the same color, I recommend at least using two different shades. I painted all my sticks the same color - antique gold, which is a beautiful color, although it would be much nicer if it were two different shades of gold.


This was a fun and easy project, and one of the best parts is... it only cost $12!!!

Paint - $2
Paint Sticks - Free - thanks to Sherwin Williams
Wooden Hoop - $3
Picture Hook - $3
Mirror - $3
Wooden Base - $1

I plan on making another sunburst mirror soon. I think it would be fun to try using twigs, bamboo sticks, or even chop sticks, so I will let you all know how that goes!

Check out 'Centsational Girl' for her version of the paint stick sunburst mirror.

I hope everyone has a day full of SUNSHINE!

~meg xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment