Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hidden Treasures...


One of my favorite things is shopping at antique malls and flea markets. I love the aspect of "hunting" through other peoples' "junk" and creating something truly unique and special out of it.

I spent Saturday morning with my Dad at the Strathcona Antique Mall. If you haven't been there you must go - it's one of the best antique stores I have been to. The main reason I went was to find some vintage window frames. I didn't end up finding the right window frame, however, I did find some other unique hidden treasures. 

I saw an old railing piece that was in a pile of old wood scraps. It caught my eye because it was a pale yellow and had a great texture. I was really drawn to this piece and thought, "What can I do with this...", and with a little bit of thinking I decided it would make a great magazine rack! So I rotated the railing 90 degrees and leaned it against the wall and created a unique vintage magazine rack. It could also be used as a towel rack in a bathroom or a drying rack for your delicate laundry.





Living in a 900 square foot house, I am always looking for unique storage solutions. I found a vintage wooden box and thought that it would be great in my living room for storing yarn and all my knitting goods. I like the idea of pairing a modern and vintage piece together, so I decided it would be perfect under my black modern side table.



Happy treasure hunting - yarrr! :)
~ Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment